Monday, July 15, 2013

Alternatives

After watching this video (link), I decided to try harder to kick my plastic habit,
with some helpful tips from this blog (link).

I already carry reusable shopping bags (or refuse bags and look ridiculous carrying arm loads of groceries to my car -- teaches me a lesson!), buy from bulk and either reuse those plastic bags over and over or my own cotton bulk bags, and I carry a reusable stainless steel water bottle and coffee to-go cup, etc...

However, I realized I really like vitamin water and energy bars when out on a hike or for a pick-me-up at work. I decided to challenge myself and find easy ways to replicate these items at home. I am SO excited about what I came up with that I had to share!

 Delicious homemade "vitamin" water: pour filtered water over a couple slices of lime, raspberries and mint. Refrigerate overnight and indulge in a refreshing glass the next day. It turns a pretty pink/red! (wait too long to drink it and the lime pith will make it sour)

Yummy and filling homemade "energy" bars: chop nuts (I used walnuts and almonds - use whatever you want) and dried fruit (I used apricots and tart cherries), mix with coconut, plain puffed rice cereal, and a pinch of salt. Heat a little butter, almond butter, and brown rice syrup. Bring to a simmer for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour over your nut/fruit mixture and combine. Press firmly into a buttered pan. Chill until firm, tip out, slice into individual servings. I like to use the little brown wax bags from Natural Value for these and sandwiches. Keep them in the refrigerator. I based my recipe on one I found in the Healthy in a Hurry cookbook.


Every little bit counts, especially if we all decide to ...
Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.  I hope you got some fun and yummy ideas out of this post!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Please consider "following" my blog, if you don't already.